Sunday, 28 November 2010

NaNoWriMo and other things

Well, I've done it. I actually done it! I've completed fifty thousand words of my novel.

For those that don't know, November is National Novel Writing Month.You sign up and try to write 50k by 30th November. Well, I did it. On 26th November. I wasn't sure if it was possible. I know others that have done it, more than once, but I wasn't sure I could. But as it turned out, it was the easy bit. I cut down my facebook, twitter and scrabble time. I neglected the housework. The kids. The husband. But seriously, I just refocused my attention to my work in progress and I found that I wasn't stuck for words, just time. If I had more minutes, I am sure I could have written more words.

The problem I have now, is how to finish the thing. 50k might sound impressive, but I am sure I have another 50k at least to write to reach The End. And then comes the task of editing. And believe me, I need a good edit. A very good edit. I have written many words. Some are good, some bad and very many are ugly and redundant. That's the hard part. Reading and re-reading and chopping and killing my darlings.

But I've had great fun. I've decimated a nemesis, crucified a bully and jailed a horrible person, all in the name of characterisation. I've discredited a few others too. I'm not a vengeful person but I love it, the power of writing.

In the meantime, I came second in the Slingink Slam round four and whilst waiting for the results of round five, I'm half-way through my round six entry. I've sent out some competition entries and done Write Invite competition every Saturday at 5.30pm - 6pm. And currently, I'm plotting my next chapter - and it involves a reveal. Maybe I'll write that tomorrow. Take my word count up to 55k. Every little bit brings the end closer.

It's also good to do something like NaNo with writing friends on facebook and twitter. The collective encouragement and support is great. So to my colleagues, whether they reach 50K or not, well done. And a great big Thank You.  

And now it's snowing. Heavy. Fast. And laying. Deep. It's warm inside and it's beautiful out. The school will probably be closed tomorrow and I doubt the supply wagon for the Co-op won't dare attempt the drive along the country lanes. We've been for milk, there was no bread, and we have wine. And beer. And a few other bottles of comfort. I don't think I'll risk dancing in the snow but Strictly is on television shortly so that will do.

And if your writing, NaNo or otherwise, good luck!

3 comments:

  1. Well done you. I plan to take part next year, researching and plotting between now and then!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gratz! I finished today too. Great feeling even though I know that I wont really finish the first draft of this book before mid Dec.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi. I know what you mean about finishing nanowrimo. It's been a great, but hectic month, and the challenge is to keep it up isn't it.

    Twitter scottishmum
    http://www.scottishmum.com

    ReplyDelete