Sunday, 12 September 2010

Sunday - not a day of rest

Today I am home alone in my sister's house. I have been back in Hartlepool since last Tuesday and will be here until Wednesday. This is the first bit of down time I've had so I thought I'd fill you in on the events of the week.

On Tuesday, I set off for my trip south - a tree lay on the track and the inter-city train couldn't get through. I ended up having to hire a car. The rain lashed down until I passed Newcastle but I arrived safely, if tired and frazzled.

It's been a hectic few days. We've been doing interviews for room-leader positions in the nursery. We had a postive meeting with the accountant and we've been sorting out the kitchen for the refurb that started yesterday. It isn't chaos, it's organised but it is demanding and so far, very hard work.

We went to bingo on Thursday night, me, my sister, my bezzie mate Tracey and another friend. I won! First game, one line. Hurrah! So did five others. I was handed an envelope - £4.17 - which I then split four ways - £1.04 - I left the penny to charity. That's just my sort of luck ;-)

Friday night and I took my sister and two of my oldest friends out to dinner. Old by virtue of the length of time I've known them, not their age. It was 1976 when we first met and have remained friends ever since. It was a great night.

My sister and I attended our OU tutorial yesterday in Durham. I wasn't able to make the one in Edinburgh but my sister's tutor is one I had six years ago so I was happy to tag along. I'm glad I did - lots of useful tips for the exam in October. Gulp.

Last night I watched one of my favourtie programmes - Strictly Come Dancing. Oh how I love the show. Oh how I love the dancing! It inspires me every year. I love it. All of it. The nights drawing in, the rush on a Saturday to settle down ready for the first dance, the build up to Christmas, the development of the dancers, the frocks, the sparkle and sequins, the routines, the laughs, the judges ... oh how I love it! Next year, I think they should have an author - there's plenty of well-known ones that could fit the bill. I can nominate a few. I also think Miranda Hart should be there - she's one of their greatest fans.

Today I am hoping to do my final assignment whilst I have the peace, the quiet and an empty house. Wish me luck!


On the writing front, before I left for work last week, I received my copies of 'Anti-Clockwise', the Slingink Anthology with my 2nd place story, Groundsman. It also contains a few others pieces of mine. I have a spare copy, so if you'd like it, please answer this question -

Which famous author lives near me in Scotland?

Clue : - it was her house that inspired my story 'Groundsman'.

Please post your answer on the comment thread. It's easy to create an account if you don't already have one.

That'll see how many people read my blog ;-)

The prompts for Slingink Slam are out and I couldn't download the pdf but I now have the word doc. I haven't had any time to think about it, never mind write anything. I'm just glad that I have until 23rd to submit something. I'm quite nervous about the sort of thing Nik Perring, the judge, likes. I don't know that I have the confidence now the competition has started. I know I'll do it. I always do. But it's still nerve-wracking.

Anyway, I've rambled on far too long and if you've got this far, well done. I'm off to start work on that pressing assignment. Wish me luck!

5 comments:

  1. I'm not a fan of Strictly, but I did love 'So You Think You Can Dance' earlier this year and can't wait for it to return.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Cate! I love it! Really looking forward to Ann Widecombe too - I think she'll be the female John Sargeant of a couple of years ago. It's such a laugh too.
    And every year,I promise myself I'll lose weight, learn to dance properly, get tickets for the show ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. You sound like you're having a good time and a productive time too.
    I don't watch any telly.
    I want to know more about Slingink Sam. I want to come and have coffee with you when you get back.
    Every year I also promise myself I'll lose weight, do some sport, get out more... I think coming to you for coffee will count as getting out more. What can we do for some sport?

    ReplyDelete
  4. You must come up for coffee! Anytime from Friday.
    Sport? Hmm - will have to think about that one ;-)
    Slingink Slam - you can still join in - it's a 6 rd writing comp - 2 weeks to submit a story which is then judged. The first round has just started so if you want to be in - join the forum and look look for the thread Slingink Slam - all details there. http://www.slingink.com/phpBB3/index.php

    Hope you do it! And Nik is judging so it promises to be a great year - plus other great contestants too. ;-)

    ReplyDelete